Panama City based Copa Airlines has announced that it hopes to resume operations on June 1, 2020, upon receiving approvals required from the corresponding authorities in other countries in the region contingent upon the Panama Civil Aviation Authority allowing its suspension of all international flights in the country due to the coronavirus crisis, expiring on May 22, 2020. Until then, between May 23 and 31, the airline expects to be able to increase the number of humanitarian flights, with the goal of transporting more passengers back to their home countries.
Copa has staid in a statement it shared with Finance Americas that operations at its home base of Panama’s Tocumen International Airport (PTY) will be a gradual process, beginning with approximately 10% of total previous operations prior to the impact of the Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic, due to low passenger demand in the short and medium term, a high volume of reservation cancellations, and the fact that most of the countries in the region still have operational and entry restrictions in place.
Copa Airlines confirmed that upon resuming operations will implement the health, hygiene and sanitation protocols required by national and international health authorities, as well as a series of new procedures to reinforce these aspects, which are currently being developed and will be included and announced later.
Copa has adjusted its ticketing, change and frequent flier policies according to the following conditions:
For tickets purchased until June 30, 2020
- Original travel dates must be originated and completed by December 31, 2020
- New travel must be completed by December 31, 2021
- Applies only to Copa Airlines tickets: regular and award tickets.
- Refunds and cancellations apply according to fare rules conditions.
For passengers wishing to reschedule flights, Copa will allow you to modify the date or flight of your trip without the change fee or fare difference if the rebooking is within the same cabin.
For passengers that wish to use their tickets on a future trip:
- If you are not sure when to travel, you can cancel your reservation and plan later.
- Copa will maintain the value of the ticket for future travel until December 31, 2021.
- The change fee and fare difference for this change will not be charged if the rebooking is within the same cabin.
ConnectMiles PreferMember status extension: the status of current PreferMembers will be automatically extended for an additional year through February 28, 2022; click here for additional information.