Human beings are adaptable. Today we are living a “new normality” to which countless companies have transformed their structures so that their employees can work remotely.
Although some projections have been released, we do not know exactly how working relationships will be in the near future. To face this situation, infrastructure and support are needed. So far, some staff members are being very productive, others less so.
The crisis surprised us: no one was prepared to migrate to a completely remote working environment. But this circumstance is giving us a unique opportunity to build what is to come.
It is fundamental to make predictions, imagine scenarios and plan actions so as not to be dragged down by circumstances. Some of the technologies that will have a bigger impact in the next chapters of history are the following:
- Digital Workplace Systems. Virtual platforms that allow employees to work remotely from anywhere (the cloud). This also increases the productivity of some people, who can be more mobile, make virtual appointments and at the same time work on a project, among other possibilities.
- Biometric Authentication. To validate the data entry and protect this info, these technologies recognize people without the need to have touch and therefore improve productivity without compromising security.
- Artificial Intelligence. It can be implemented in internal systems to quickly identify anomalies in operations and indicate the measures that should be taken in each situation, whether it is a hacker attack or any unexpected activity.
- Edge Computing. It allows the digital management of thousands of devices at the same time. They operate as micro data centers that support data processing. They are not necessarily in the cloud, but close to the edge of the network and closer to the user who has access. In practical terms, it provides more security and better data processing.
- The Internet of Things. We already know it, but this technology has not yet reached half of its potential. Imagine a company that can monitor its products automatically. Think of doctors who can have all their patients’ records on gadgets that monitor abnormalities or cameras that identify sick people. The possibilities are endless.
However, the above technologies cannot be successful if information security does not precede them. We always say that technology can transform businesses, but at the same time we need to implement fundamental changes in mindset. In other words, if we want to work with technology without exposing ourselves to great risks, we must create a corporate awareness that security is essential. Simply because there are hackers who every year invest colossal resources in having better tools to steal data.
At the end of the day, after imagining the possible scenarios, it is not difficult to realize that uncertainty is a certainty. Those of us who look further ahead may be able to perceive details that are decisive for the future. In the meantime, it is not difficult to assume that companies that do not have technology at the core of their strategy will not survive.